I’ve been busy over the past couple of days trying to fulfill a
dream wish of mine. Converting the Baby Surprise Jacket to crochet. For my first attempt, I did a plain stitch for stitch translation from knit to crochet, replacing knit with single crochet.
Quite early on I saw there was a problem, but I persisted and finished the piece. I’ve tried to pull it into shape, but as you can see, there are some problems. It appears the piece is too long and not wide enough.
Obviously I shall have to rip it back, and redo it. It will involve some thinking. Namely, I need to make it such that the width of the two fronts equals the back (cast-on edge) minus the sleeve lengths (allowing for the button bands, of course). Also perhaps reduce the length of the back a bit so the fronts are squarer.
Something tells me that dreaded thing, a swatch, is imminent. Oh dear.